This ain't that movie, it's the sequal

13:37

This time last Sunday, I was preparing to get on a flight to Dublin Airport from New York. I'm sad. Although I thought I was ready to come home, being hit with the pretty meh weather Ireland has been having recently is cramping my style and making me long for the uncomfortably humid East Coast summer. I have to say, even though my style was cramped and I felt meh to match the weather, last week did have the illusion of productivity. I decided to binge watch a number of films that I will share with you guys in a later post, plus I went back2skool shopping, and had a kicking weekend. I'm dedicating this post to that kicking weekend, primarily as something to distract me from the thought of school on Tuesday. Ugh.




Friday

I spent my Friday with Elizabeth from Fashion is My First Language! Typing it out is weird and surreal, but it's real and it happened again. Becoming URL to IRL pals is one of the greatest feelings ever, like, the best thing ever? It's probably better than that. Everytime we hang out, our days always have this way of seeming quite idyllic in a sense, with moments not feeling real, like stills from a film. This time we started our day chatting over desserts, and then made our way to my favourite childhood park, which Elizabeth hadn't been to before. We found ourselves spending what felt like forever under the large branches of a great tree waiting for the sudden outbreak of rain to pass by. During that 20-or-so minutes we stood together under the tree, I think it really hit us that we've gone from internet friends to real life friends in such a short space of time, and that with so many of our ideas and ideals basically in sync, that we've found really super friends in one another. Those thoughts, coupled with the fact that the park was deserted when the rain had passed leaving us with acres of land to ourselves, made for such a blissful day with Elizabeth. 


I feel I should speak a little bit about my outfit on Friday, as you guys have never seen it before. I'm wearing a white shirt with some gingham-like detailing that I found in my mother's closet, light-wash dungarees that I got from Marshalls when I was in the States, and a blazer coat-like thing (and now favourite item of clothing) which was thrifted from Unique Thrift Store in New Jersey. My teal bag is from some boutique in my town whose name has totally escaped me.

The brooch I'm wearing (see below) is my mum's and my pins are from Philly, NYC, and New Brunswick (a gift). I'm also in the process of making cool new pins to deck out my new dungarees with, which I'm real excited to ~showcase~ soon!


Saturday

I may have mentioned at one point or the other that I'm part of a youth theatre group in my town, which, apart from workshops, showcases, and performances, do other cool stuff with us like take us to plays to watch and support other youth theatre groups from around Ireland. On Saturday we went to The Project Arts Centre at Temple Bar in Dublin to watch a new play staged by the National Youth Theatre titled 'Salt Mountain' which was written by Carmel Winters and directed by Joe Mangan. 

photo by Ros Kavanagh 
It's hard to comprehensively express in words all the feels this play gave me. This play is set in a dystopian world without any specific time or place, so we're left to guess, with the Arabic names given to the characters, that it is somewhere in the Middle East. The story revolves around a community that are forced to flee from their beloved village that is torn apart due to war and conflict and find refuge in the mountains all the while trying to battle factors such as the harsh winter, lack of food and hunger, and personal desires. The storyline resonates a lot with what we can see currently occurring around us with the migration and displacement of millions who are trying to survive while their homes are being torn apart. The acting by the cast of the 16 young people was so on point and they beautifully incorporated so many aspects of theatre that we've been learning about. I love plays that creatively shed light on current social issues, which is why I love youth theatre. I feel that it not only engages young people in theatre and the arts, but also aims to engage young people in the world around them. Making them realize that they're part of something bigger than themselves, or their youth theatre groups, but that they are part of the world -- something, I feel, so many non-engaged young people tend to forget. Also, I think we can all agree "drama geeks" are some of the coolest, most-accepting people ever. Just saying. 

Anyways, again, there were so many feels, it's hard to put it into words. I wish that you guys could watch and experience the beauty and creativity of this performance live. The play's last show was on August 29th, so in commemoration of this spectacular play's end, I will leave you guys with some stunning photographs from the opening night of the play taken by Ros Kavanagh. 

photo by Ros Kavanagh 
photo by Ros Kavanagh 
photo by Ros Kavanagh
When the play had ended, and after I had fully composed my thoughts/emotions/feelings, we decided to take a stroll around Temple Bar half looking for a nearby McDonald's, and half because I couldn't pass up an opportunity to immerse myself in my favourite part of Dublin City. Being Ireland, our venturing was cut short by a sudden opening of the skies, but there's always something a little amusing about getting caught in a thunderstorm with cool pals.

Upon arrival back at The Project Arts Centre, and my everything (but my hair, never my hair) being drenched, we discovered a free visual arts exhibition by Belgian artist, David Claerbout. Although we had very short time to view his projections, I couldn't help but notice the simplicity of his subject matter yet such careful attention to detail of so many of the images in his video instalments, especially of the pictures in black and white. His exhibition runs until October 11th, and if you happen to be in Dublin or roaming about Temple Bar and into visual art, you should definitely check his work out at Project Arts Centre. It's freEeEeE!!

We decided to be goofballs before we left.



Sunday

Today, apart from thought of cleaning my room slowly gnawing away at me, I'm, as much as I hate to say it, currently thinking a lot about school. It's looming. Am I prepared? I think so. I'm taking all necessary precautions to make sure I fully concentrate on the seemingly never ending work ahead because I NEED TO FINISH SCHOOL. I'm so ready to graduate, leave the stressful secondary school system, and move on to other stresses. It's been a long 6-ish years, but the end is nigh and I'm so ready for other things, new things, big things. 

Also, today the piece I wrote for the blog TeenageMysticism went live!! I'm so excited as this is the first proper thing I've written for anything other than my blog. It feels weird, but I'm also relieved. I've hid from the thought of contributing anything to anywhere because of fear, but with something of mine out there, I'm feeling a little more confident! Daisy-Chain, the founder of this blog, asked me to write about anything I like and felt comfortable with writing, and although it's not a particularly comfortable topic, I thought I would write about cultural appropriation as it's such a major topic right now. In my piece, I lay down some facts on three major questions that so many people are asking/lowkey thinking. You guys can check it out here and tell me what you think because your thoughts and opinions matter to meEeEe!!


I am now a main contributor for TeenageMysticim!! I'm so excited to be part of this super cool blog, and I would appreciate it so much if you guys checked us out, supporting other teen bloggers and stuffs! 

....................................

That's all for now, folks. I'm going to clean my room. 

lyric in title - House Key by Lolawolf

You Might Also Like

26 comments

  1. Victory, you are possibly one of my favourite people ever! It is so much fun hanging out with you and we definitely need to plan another time soon! The play sounds so interesting and those photographs of it are so spectacular! Also your article is so so good! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gawwwwsh, Elizabeth, I'm so totally not blushing right now!! You make my heart flutter!! <3 The play ~was~ incredible, and thank you so much!! x

      Delete
  2. <3 <3 your outfits are such beauts! love the article

    Claire
    www.augustlikethemonth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah wow everything you did looks so cool!!

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved loved loved your outfit on friday and that projection thing that you did at the arts centre looks really cool and fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this post, Victory!! Firstly, I cannot get over how rad both yours and Elizabeth's outfits are. Secondly, 'Salt Mountain' sounds incredible, it's always great to see other young people with cool and different hobbies. And lastly, your piece for Teenage Mysticism was honestly Rookie-worthy and i feel so much more informed/aware of the matter now, so thank you x
    p.s are those stripy socks from tiger?? I think I have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gawwwwsh, Suzie, you're toooo nice!! Thank you so much x100, your comments make my day infinitely better, always! Also, yaaah they are! Elizabeth and I got 'em on Friday! Sock tripletz!!

      Delete
  6. Aw hope you had a fab day with Elizabeth. I absolutely love the jacket that you wore. Also, the play that you watched sounds really interesting!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on becoming a contributor for TeenageMysticism Victory!!! I read your article and girl you broke.it. DOWN. I just want to print it out and show it to ignorant people who question the validity of culture appropriation. I really liked your section on assimilation because I think it's very important to point out how that is a by product of systematic racism and you covered that perfectly x love the exhibition photos, and I'm obsessed with the thrifted blazer <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kaylee!! I also 100% agree with you! Sending you SO much luUuv right now!! <3

      Delete
  8. Okay, this isn't even fair. You are the coolest person ever, and oh man I can just imagine walking in a park and seeing you and elizabeth dressed TO THE ACE and just wanting to like, bask in your presence.

    Also I loved the piece you wrote for teenagemysticism!! Really good read.

    Keep rocking. Good luck with the room cleaning!!!

    (っ♥︎◡♥︎)っ intergalactic glitter monster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly, I couldn't be MORE of a mess right now if I tried! You have my eternal gratitude for all your nice comments, dearest friend! Luv yah! <3

      Delete
  9. VICTORY U AWESOME HUMAN BEING!!!! Okay first of all, you and Elizabeth are the cutest url to irl friends EEVVVEERRR. Both of ur outfits are absolute gems. Second, those pictures u took with ur friends are so cute!!!! Y'all are too cooooollll. And lastly, what a beautiful piece you wrote for that blog!!!! I love how you explained it all. Congrats on expanding your writing, that's definitely a huge accomplishment!!!!! You're awesome, Victory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh, thank you SO much, Josselyn! I'm honestly a grinning, blushing mess right now, you are TOO nice! I <3 uuuuu!!

      Delete
  10. You and Elizabeth's outfits are gorgeous ohmygod !
    Read your article on Teenage Mysticism and it's amazing - fair play for writing about it, a lot of people still need to learn a lot about it !

    ReplyDelete
  11. maaan your jacket is wonderful. also meeting internet people in real life is so odd! wonderful, and amazing, but makes you feel kind of weird that all of a sudden someone you've only communicated with over the internet is, like, right in front of you. i'm glad u had such a nice time though! and i read your piece on cultural appropriation and it was v v v v spot on <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you x10, flossa! Also, right?? It's crazy weird but so satisfying. x

      Delete
  12. Ah man all you're outfits are so beautiful! I loved your article on cultural appropriation you took the words out of mouth! xo
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember leaving New York. It still hurts a little.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

♡ thank uUu for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every single one of them! ♡

Visitors

Instagram

Subscribe